Sunday, March 29, 2009

Art Goals 2009

I thought it would be helpful to define what my creative goals are so that I have a record of what I want to achieve and how I am progressing. Basically I started out with 2 broad goals - to improve my drawing skills and to sketch daily. As I have kept to my daily practice some other aims have emerged. There are essentially 3 areas in which I seek to gain greater confidence:


1. Illustration - the illustration of a concept, idea, poem or story is a skill I would love to master. Yet the complexity of its demands are wide-reaching. Still, I have started here and there with small pieces of this nature. I made this sketch, entitled 'Homecoming', to decorate a card to send to an Aunt in Scotland. The children are representative of my own and the door is symbolic of her house.

2. Location sketching - I now carry a sketchbook in my handbag with the goal of sketching while out and about, I would love to be adept at this. My first few attempts were embarrassingly awkward as I wrestled with emotional inhibitions and practical issues. However I am finally increasing in confidence and I am actually quite pleased with this sketch I made at the library today.

3. Watercolour - learning to paint is an immense challenge and at present I am wrestling with watercolour. I find the medium incredibly frustrating and yet, I am persisting. Really, I would love to justr give up and try acrylics instead but for some reason I won't allow myself to do so! This, in itself, is unusual. I feel I must continue on, 'push through' until I feel less frustrated and more in control, although goodness knows how long that will take!
Each of these 3 areas requires me to tackle perspective and use of the whole picture (inclusion of background, foreground, hands, feet and other scary features!) which have long been my two greatest challenges in drawing. Still it feels good to realise I am taking steps, small but steady, towards where I want to be.



No comments: