Thursday, October 30, 2008

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain



Lack of time and lack of confidence have kept me from commiting to the sketches I've attempted over the past few days - the results have been dismal! I have been entirely disheartened. Then, last night, I stumbled across some exercises I did a few years ago when I was working my way through the excellent resource 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards. These drawings (both from very early chapters of the book) reminded me that I can improve with practise and that so much is dependent upon freeing the brain from its blocks. The drawing of the horse and rider is particularly interesting - it is an exercise in 'upside down' drawing, a copy worked from an upside down image/ line drawing - the purpose of the exercise is to free the brain from its false visual constructs and concentrate instead upon the flow of the lines. While initially challenging the process really works - you can see the tightness and faltering of my early lines at the head but by the time I am at the horse I have loosened up and begun to trust the lines. The legs and tail of the horse have the kind of confidence I long to achieve while drawing. So, I have decided to rework the book, now it is only a matter of finding it...







1 comment:

K said...

Wow, hands are really hard to draw, and you captured it beautifully!